Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Entering Medical School..

First of all, I want to share to you that I really really really want to become a doctor since I was a little kid. And still at present, that desire doesn't change even a little bit. I also said to myself that I will not enter medical school unless I passed the Nursing Licensure Examination. Fortunately, I passed the board exam and that is why I am writing this blog.

Before I decided to continue in med school, doubts won't be absent. First is financial matters. My dad is the most difficult person to convince in our family. I may call him an antagonist in our home lol. It takes so many guts for me to talk to him seriously about pursuing my dream to be a doctor. 

When I said these words, "Pa, payagan mo na ko magdoktor.", my dad breath deeply and started to breath fast. Then he told me, "magkano ba magiging tuition mo?", I said, "mga 100k isang semester pero kapag nakuha ko naman yung academic scholar magiging 20k na lang ang tuition ko sa PLM." "Diyos ko po, tingnan mo Edward pinagpapawisan ako sa sinabi mo..." my dad said. Then our first ever serious conversation has ended in a silence. I didn't said a thing after he said his final words that he is having a diaphoresis, I remain in my sit for a while and then leave my father silently. As I've mentioned earlier, that is our first ever serious conversation since we are not that close and we are always having a fight because his personality has changed when he had a stroke.

Well, enough for my sad part lol. As I imagine myself as a full pledge Doctor, I feel so fulfilled as they call me Doc in my imagination. And when I finish medical school, I'm also able to fulfill my parents dream of having a son that is a doctor. I also thought of my future patients who is thanking me everytime I treat them for free and it makes my heart fat! Lol.

On the other side, majority of my friends and relatives knew that I am going to enter med school. They are all relying on me!! Oh my gosh.. They even call me Doc, amp!! Mahirap rin pala yung ganun, you can feel the pressure not to break their expectations on you.


Another doubt is when I am having a conversation with 2 of my college friends. To be specific, my 2 bestfriends. When I mentioned to them that I will be pursuing med school, one of them said, "Ayaw mo pang tapusin ang paghihirap mo? Naka apat na taon ka na at isang board exam uulitin mo na naman?" I knew that they are not discouraging me but they are just telling the truth and it is their own opinion and there's nothing that I can do about it. As I gone home, what my bestfriend said suddenly enters my mind and it takes me to a turmoil! "Uu nga no, lintek na dinanas kong hirap at pagod nung review at nung nursing days, although masaya naman mahirap pa rin talaga. Nandyan yung minsan naiisip mo, I'm too tired. I wish that board exam would be tomorrow na." Come to think of it, if I pursue nursing, I will be able to go abroad with flying colours and I can earn a lot of money which is one of my dreams. I can buy any gadgets that I want and even have my own house with a swimming pool and highly prestige cars!! I will be able to give everything that my family needs. But still, my desire to help others won't be changed. Thinking about the situation of having lots of money isn't that satisfying for I still want to lend a helping hand to others in my own hands. I didn't say that I can't help others if I am a nurse, of course I can still help them but if I am a doctor, I can help them with my own hands, write prescriptions for free, check-ups for free, everything is free!


All other stuffs that is needed to enter medical school like NMAT, MCAT, interview, etc. will be posted in another blog. Thank you for the time reading my blog. restingnurse.blogspot.com

"Your imagination can be a reality through Education."

3 comments:

  1. You are not alone, kahit na nagdugo ang ilong ko kaka-english mo, grabe, I feel the same way! shet, parang ganon din yung paguusap namin ng dad ko! haaaayy, hirap no? nakakatuwa naman, dahil dyan cyber apir tayo future Dr. Edward Wong!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll become what you desire ;) break a leg dr.edward wong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Wishing you the best too.

      Delete